Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wikipedia

I've touched a little on Wikipedia in a previous post. How I used it to look up RSS Aggregators. In the library we naturally have a reference section, which includes hard copies of encyclopedias, but these encyclopedias have a tendency to become out-of-date rather quickly and its expensive to replace a whole collection. Wikipedia is an excellent way for us to help customers search for something in particular and it covers just about everything and is a lot more up-to-date. I am currently in the process of putting together a website with our IT tech and am thinking of links to add to the page. I already have a link to SLQ (State Library Queensland) and their list of databases, I think that I might include a link to Wikipedia as well. Although most people know it exists most people wouldn't think to use it when looking for information, if I had the link in front of them it might help their researching all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment